Friday 11 June 2010

Artesano Alpaca DK Log Cabin Blanket


Here is my latest completed project: a log cabin blanket-of-many-colours knitted for my friend Michala's imminent arrival.
She is such a colourful person, I just couldn't decide what colour to knit the blanket in, then I came across the concept of the Log Cabin Blanket on http://www.masondixonknitting.com/, so I thought I'd give it a go with 13 different shades of Artesano Alpaca DK.
I love the way it has turned out. The yarn is really soft, lovely to knit with and as a blanket it drapes really well. I had a big debate with myself (and anyone who would listen!) about whether to a) line it and b)crochet an edging, but finally I decided on neither. I think the lining would make it too heavy and the border may detract from the simplicity of the design.
It was difficult to see how it was going to turn out, until the very end when the second repeat of each colour was completed and then it finally came together. I love the freedom of just knitting with no pattern to follow, that's why I finished it so fast (for me that is!)
It was such a success I think I will write up the pattern and make it available as a knitting kit at http://www.cafeknit.com/
I do hope Michala (and Baby Briggs) likes it....




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautful! We are a yarn shop in the UK and have used your image for our new Log Cabin Workshop, obviously with a credit to your Blog. If you aren't happy, please let us know and we will remove it. Our email is info@treaclewoolshop.co.uk. Many thanks!